Benefits of Quitting
As soon as you quit, your body begins to repair the damage caused by smoking. See the health benefits you’ll experience as soon as 20 minutes to 15 years after quitting.
20 Minutes After Quitting:
- Your heart rate drops to a normal level.
12 Hours After Quitting:
- The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting:
- Your risk of having a heart attack begins to drop.
- Your lung function begins to improve.
1 to 9 Months After Quitting:
- Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
1 Year After Quitting:
- Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker’s.
5 to 15 Years After Quitting:
- Your risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a nonsmoker’s.
- Your risk of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, or esophagus is half that of a smoker’s.
View original post 768 more words